This stunning matcha tea bowl is an authentic Japanese craft traditionally used for tea ceremonies – a custom that continues to be as popular now as it ever was. Created by Ryoji Nakamura, a well-known artist in the Japanese world of tea, this elegant matcha tea bowl features a graceful wisteria design of white and purple blossoms. You don’t need to be a Japanese tea bowl connoisseur to appreciate the quality and uniqueness of this particular wisteria tea bowl. Purple is a symbol of nobility in Japan and was traditionally reserved for the imperial court. You will often notice purple decorations and furnishings in temples and shrines. Similarly, wisteria is an auspicious symbol used on family crests. Wisteria is a spring blossom so tea bowls bearing this elegant flower design are perfectly suited for spring tea ceremonies.
Multi-colour glazing for premium tea bowls
The inside of the bowl features different shades of charcoal, which complement the vivid green Japanese matcha tea when served. This method of glazing with different colours is called “kakewake” in Japanese ceramic terms. Glazing not only enhances the beauty of a bowl, it also adds strength. Bowls with multi-coloured glazing tend to be more valuable. Premium matcha tea bowls often have patterns on the inside, requiring the use of special food-safe glazes as well as knowledge and skill. This exquisite wisteria tea bowl makes the perfect gift for those who enjoy tea ceremonies or as a unique art piece to decorate your space.
– Featuring white and purple wisteria blossom – a popular floral motif for spring tea bowls
– Created by artist Ryoji Nakamura
– Kyoto Ceramic Ware
– Comes in a signed wooden box, wrapped in an orange protective cloth
Suitable Season: Spring
Not dishwasher/microwave safe
– We recommend soaking the bowl in lukewarm water before using it for the first time. This is to prevent damage such as staining or cracking.
– This bowl is made from natural materials which makes the unglazed part breathable and water absorbent. To protect from mould, please dry throughly after use, before putting it away.
– Please avoid exposing the bowl to highly acidic materials such as lemon and vinegar for long periods of time as the acid may cause discolourisation.